Pull up a seat and have a steaming cup with me as we discuss issues central to the west-indian community, the african-american community and the LGBT community.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Girls Night:Another disappointment.

Just like I predicted, they did the same as the guys- picked horrible songs! I mean, it was 70's night and like Randy said, the 70's was full of great music but the girls didn't do much better in terms of finding songs that fit them and/or were interesting. That's all I have to say about that.

Here are the ladies I have my eye on DESPITE the bad song choices of last night:

Alexan-drea...Ooooh the way her name is pronounced annoys me but I really like her.She's also a local girl from Georgia and I think she's really got something but the judges don't seem to like her very much. I notice Randy,Paula and Simon (don't their names sound like they could be a group of folk singers from the 60's?) really like the idea of pigeon-holding contestants into one genre- either you're country,pop,rock...or a soul singer and when you don't choose one or the other they're none too happy. Alexandrea, however, is unique; she changes it up everytime we see her and I hope that doesn't change. I actually liked her song choice last night - She chose Chicago's 'If you leave me Now' and I thought she did a brilliant arrangement with it and sounded great but I don't know if it will be enough to keep her in the competition - especially when the judges just don't seem to 'get' her.Brooke is a sweetie.She's so pure and 'down home'-ish. I really like the simplicity of her sound.She isn't pretentious about it.She just sings.Last night she sang 'You're so vain', strumming away on a guitar and it was great! I think she'll stick around.

Even if you don't like her style of music, (I do. I love rocker chicks.They're sexy), you have to love her energy and her complete comfortability on stage. She walks out there and completely 'rocks it' like she owns the place everytime. The other contestants can learn a lot from her - the majority of them just just stand in one spot like they're afraid they'll fall off the stage. The judges usually dig her but last night they were not feeling her song choice or her look- they thought it was all a bit too over the top.

Carly's voice is breathtakingly clear and flawless. It's beautiful to me what she seems to be able to do with it. I hope she makes it to the finals because I don't think we've seen the best she has to offer. I have no idea what she sang last night but she is very talented and quite interesting to me. I don't have a whole lot to say about Asia'h except, I think she's quite talented (not to mention very easy on the eyes) and I hope she steps up her game because she has the potential to do big things but will America see that potential? Not unless she picks better songs, and performs more.

Come on ladies. Don't make me eat my words about this better one of the best seasons of Idol in a long time.

No comments: