Pull up a seat and have a steaming cup with me as we discuss issues central to the west-indian community, the african-american community and the LGBT community.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Raisins and Idols?

No, there's not a new American Idol cereal on the market chock full of raisins, I'm just combining
my 'American Idol' and 'Raisin in the sun' re-cap since I didn't get to blog yesterday.
I'll start with 'A Raisin in the Sun':



You know, as excited as I was about watching it, I did with great skepticism. After all, the actors had some big shoes to fill and to have Diddy at the helm? well, let's just say, I didn't expect much. But, I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. Did Diddy's performance rival Sidney's? Not even close! But, I was proud of him because I could tell he worked really hard and you have to respect that.

All the actors did an impressive job.The gorgeous Sanaa Lathan and Audra McDonald are both exceptional as Beneatha and Ruth. But for me, the star of the production was Phylicia Rashad. I must admit, although I know she's won Image Awards and has been nominated for Emmys, I wasn't very familiar with her work outside of the Cosby Show.She reallllly delivered as Mrs.Younger, the Matriarch of the family; every scene she was in captivated me.I loved her.

I'm so glad they brought this to Primetime so a whole new generation could fall in love with this story.

And something I forgot to mention in my previous post:the producer of the film,Craig Zadan is a gay man. Something else that's little known by most of us: African American playwright, Lorraine Hansbury, who wrote 'A Raisin in the Sun', and was also the first black woman to have a play brought to broadway, was a lesbian.

No comments: