Pull up a seat and have a steaming cup with me as we discuss issues central to the west-indian community, the african-american community and the LGBT community.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rahsaan Patterson Comes Clean

I was watching BET Jazz the other night and came across a familiar face. It took me a moment to place it but then I it hit me, it was Rahsaan Patterson from one of my favorite childhood T.V. shows, Kids Incorporated - all grown up. I remember he was a cute kid with an amazing voice that outshone most of the other kids. Even then I could tell he had star quality and would go on to great things. 


But when the show that was responsible for launching the careers of Fergie, Mario Lopez, Shanice, Jennifer Love Hewitt and others wrapped and I never really heard much more about him, I just assumed Rahsaan had joined the ranks of those unfortunate child stars that never find work again. I never knew however that after the show he sang backup for stars like Brandy and Tevin Campbell and then went on to pursue his own career and put out an incredible four albums. Where was I? I had no idea until I saw his video, Feels Good the other night from his latest album Wine and Spirits. Good for him! He's doing his thing and seems to be enjoying life. Read his recent two page interview with BETJ where he discusses his sexual identity, struggling relationship with God, substance abuse and his 'inner demons'.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, E. You were real late on this! LOL. Where HAVE you been? LOL. But I like how you just presented it as is, with no commentary. I like and support Patterson as an artist, and he expoused some strong positions in that interview, but it still left me as puzzled the second time around as when I first read it. One one hand, he started to come off a little McClurkinish, and then .............oh well, I pray that he gets himself to where he wants to be! And be the poster child for THAT!